Friday, October 18, 2013

Value Life

This is a post that has been in my head for several months (a scary place to be)! It began as I was listening to a conservative radio show driving my son to school one morning. One of the hosts was claiming that gay marriage is a moral issue that conservatives need to back off of - but they shouldn't back off their stance on abortion. According to her, it didn't compare to abortion and shouldn't be in the same ballpark when discussing moral issues. 

She also explained her view that since in recent decades conservatives have backed candidates who are divorced or have premarital sex without making an issue of it and that gay marriage will be like mixed race marriages (what?!) in terms of coming to acceptance, we should just accept it. 

I disagree with her on both points. 

I think that the moral issues of gay marriage, abortion, pre-marital sex, and even in some ways divorce are related - and I had to examine why. As I pondered, it came to me: they all have to do with valuing LIFE. 

Respect for human LIFE and the power to create it are the foundation of a healthy and strong society. With this respect for life, and the moral imperatives it demands, we are giving ourselves and our children the best chance at success and happiness. Without respect for life we devalue each other's humanity and fail to fully love and serve one another. 

My anti-abortion stance is based on the value I place on human life. I believe that from the moment of conception it is just that: life. I would not purposefully destroy that life. Same as I would not destroy any human life at any stage. Many people have been led to believe that a fetus is not a human life - and that is sad. (I have an ultrasound of a baby at 7 weeks with a heartbeat). It is a self-deception that when integrated into the fibers of society leads us down a road that devalues life. 

Gay marriage disrespects the power to create life and nurture it. So do pre-martial sex and divorce. They all weaken the family unit (of which marriage is the foundation), which studies - although I could rely on common sense - show offers the best chance for a child to feel secure and become a productive member of society (Google it). 

The fact that society so readily accepts pre-marital sex and divorce as the norm can be seen in our media. What was once taboo has quickly become the norm. I think that the current degree of acceptance of gay marriage has come about because of television shows and movies: they have desensitized us to this life-style.

For the record, because I value life and believe in love for all our fellow beings, I do not hate or dislike any person who experiences same-gender attraction, has had pre-marital sex, is divorced, or even had an abortion. In fact some of my favorite people and dearest friends live different from my beliefs. But I still believe that accepting these things as the norm devalues life. I can love a person and not agree with their choices or views. 

Also, let me clarify that I know that in the case of divorce, many times one spouse's choices have left the other no choice but to escape a very unhealthy situation. Or one spouse chooses to leave despite the other's best efforts. I do not believe people hurt by these situations don't value life. In fact they are victims of other people devaluing life. On the other hand, I knew someone who when engaged expressed, "when we get divorced it will be because of his ex-wife". That's the norm I'm saddened by. 

If we better valued life's creation and valued the nurturing of life, our society would be stronger and free from many of the ills that plague it.

So I agree with that radio host on one point: we shouldn't be okay with divorce and pre-marital sex while at the same time not okay with gay marriage. But where she uses this a reason to embrace gay marriage, I say let's not seek for any of those things. Let's help families. Let's protect families. Let's protect LIFE. 


Disclaimer: Although you are free to disagree, if you get offended by any of my opinions that's your choice. No offense is intended. 

1 comment:

  1. Very well stated! I love the way you have stated it and the value on life. While I completely agree with you, I did not think about it in this manner before!

    ReplyDelete